Brooke Glass Factory
The building in downtown Wellsburg known as ‘Brooke Glass’ was built in 1879 with the companies Riverside Glass Works, Crescent Glass Co., and lastly Brooke Glass inhabiting it. Many leftover glass pieces, shards, and office remnants were found while in the process of redeveloping the property. The site is ready for a company to add to its long-standing history.
The building was acquired by the BDC with the assistance of the Wellsburg Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) in March 2015 and was originally planned to be entirely razed. One of the three original sections was kept in cooperation with the State Historical Preservation Office (SHPO) and USEPA. We received a $5,000 Claude W. Benedum Foundation FOCUS grant and leveraged $542,000 additional funding for remediation and cleanup. This project was made possible thanks to USEPA, West Virginia Northern Brownfields Assistance Center, Brooke-Hancock Regional Development Council, and the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (WVDEP).